About Me

My photo
21 years old living in North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cake Decorating!!

Ok, as most of you know... I have some nerdy hobbies. Well... one of them is cake decorating. I'm hooked on alllll those TLC shows so I decided to take some classes to figure out how these people do it... so I signed up for the Wilton classes at Michaels. 

Birthday Cake I was able to make using some of the techniques learned!

The classes are super affordable, only $30 and that gets you 4 x 3 hour classes but you do have to buy the "class kit" that has all the supplies in them for like, $50 a pop but Michaels always have those crazy coupons you get in the mail to get 40% or 50% off... good stuff.

My Flowers & Cake Design Project Cake!

 

So I've taken two courses so far (Decorating Basics and Flowers & Cake Design) and am halfway through the third (Gum Paste & Fondant - my fave so far!) and am loving it!!! It's amazing to learn all these crazy techniques to make those beautiful cakes you see on TV. The instructor at the North Van store, Jenny, is in the industry and her classes are fun and interesting. Check out the awesome cakes she has created (she specializes in gluten-free cakes) by googling The Sweet Tooth Cakery.


If you watch shows like Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes and thought about trying cake decorating, you should totally sign up for a class! Whenever I went to Michaels, I would always see the signs for it around the store but was never sure what it was really about. Just ask a cashier and they'll give you the dates/prices/class list and you're set! It's great, and the courses are designed for the home baker/decorator... but maybe it'll inspire you to take it to the next level (the instructor Jenny started out doing the Wilton classes which inspired her to pursue a career as a cake decorator!) 

*Pics to the left show a carnation, rose and lily made from gum paste that we made in last night's class!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!